Thursday, January 14, 2010

exhausted but happy after long day!

Hello!

Today I woke up in my new home at 6:15 and got ready for a long but exciting day in San Jose, Costa Rica. First of all, I am living with the best family I could possibly ask for. They have a daughter who is 20 years old. The father is Chinese and the mother is Costa Rican. They have three older children, one of whom is marrying a former student on the program! Five years ago, this girl came to Costa Rica with my program to study- she spoke no Spanish, but met Chuck, my host brother. (She lived with another family but met him through friends of her host siblings.) They fell in love and are getting married this March! I really hope I am here for the wedding. Of course, my host sister now wants to get me a Costa Rican boyfriend- a Tiko, as they say. This makes me nervous. :-P

In the house I have my own room. The house is located within walking distance to our school, and about 20-30 minutes bus ride to San Jose. For the first month, I will be going to a language school- that is about 30 minutes outside of San Jose, so I will commute for about an hour each day to go there. Luckily there are other students who live in my area. It is crazy though relying on public transportation and my minimal knowledge of Spanish and the city. It is one thing to do that in San Francisco, but another thing to do it here! I am excited though- today my mom (my Costa Rican mom, but I call her Mama!) took me on the bus to San Jose. I think I know (I hope I know!) how to get there, and once I am there where to go, etc.

Today our group went on a walking tour of San Jose. I was brought back to the second day of my semester in San Francisco when we went on a walking tour of that city. Those two tours could not be more different, yet remind me of each other. We had to find things that will need during our semester- the ATM, bank, post office, pharmacy, phones, etc. We met one of our professors for coffee, and also had interviews with our Spanish instructors at the language school. I can not wait to start the intensive Spanish training on Monday- first of all, the location of the language school is absolutely beautiful. It is in this beautiful building with stone floors and a beautiful garden in the center. Also, the teachers are very nice and the classes only have four or five students in them. I think the classes are 4 hours a day for the first month! Woohoo!

A funny thing that happened today- the three people in my group were eating ice cream in the Cultural Plaza and this guy approached us. I expected this, since we completely stand out as Americans, and it would not be uncommon for men to do this. However, this man just wanted to talk about culture and politics and Obama and many different things. The funniest part of the whole encounter though was his comment that I do not look like an American- I look like a Tika (a Costa Rican!) The two girls with me had blond hair and blue eyes, which may have seemed more American to him, but he told me that I did not seem American. He kept asking whether my parents were gringos... am I sure they are gringos? There must be a mistake! Or maybe "el lechero"- the milkman- is my true papa and lives in Latin America! Ah! So funny. (Sorry Mom and Dad... yes. He did say that.) However, I think my lack of much Spanish ability made it clear that no, I am not a Tika... I am indeed an American.

I really really love living with a family. That was my biggest fear, but it has been so wonderful so far. I do not feel awkward around them at all, even though they have to repeat everything they say a few times to me. I help my mom with preparing the dinner and cleaning up afterwards, and tonight my sister, mom, and I played a card game together. Imagine explaining the rules of a card game in broken Spanish to a silly gringo. Yes. That is what happened. But in the end we could play the game without much difficulty. I also have a host nephew... he is 3 years old, and the cutest boy in the world. His name is Diego, and he comes over to the house everyday while his parents go to work. Diego and I speak at almost the same level. :-) My host sister is amazing- quiet but so kind and patient. It is funny to me that I actually feel less alone and more comfortable when I am with my host family than the other Americans- I do not know why, but so far when I am with the other American students, I feel pretty out of place and homesick. But when I am with my family I feel like I could live here forever. This is a good thing, because the program really emphasizes relationships with the family above the other students.

Well, I love you all and miss you. I hope that you are doing well. Also, please pray for Haiti and my dear friend Keziah. She is a missionary nurse there... she survived the earthquake, and is now helping hundreds of people in need. Pray for strength and assistance for her- she is running on little sleep and few supplies. Please pray for her and Haiti- that is a situation and place very close to my heart.

3 comments:

  1. Those languages classes sound ridiculous. I'm so glad you like your living situation. I know the beginnings of things like this can be really stressful as you make friends and adjust. I'm praying for you and thinking about you. It's fun to read what you're up to!

    <3 you, Chrissy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So good to read your words and a few of the humorous stories that have ALREADY happened...and praise God for your family situation! He truly heard those prayers...can't wait to hear more, lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, just reading this post today (Saturday)... so much for feeling alone!!! Those were some quick answered prayers! XOXO

    ReplyDelete