Saturday, January 16, 2010

cultural faux pas #1

My life is awkward.

Gagggg. I think I committed a cultural faux pas tonight, and I don't know what to do about it! I feel nauseous thinking about it.

Ok- so this is what happened. I went with my mom to a baby shower- it was basically a family reunion with 30 or so family members. It went until about 11 pm, and was a combination of very fun/very overwhelming. Of course, 80 % of the time I did not really know what was going on- however, I participated as much as I could and actually had a good time. We played musical chairs, musical hats, lots of games... there was lots of screaming (in a good way) and laughing and craziness. They are very expressive in their culture and very affectionate/loud/excited about different things. Most of the time I just sat there and smiled, and when I could, participated. It was slightly overwhelming, especially towards the end, since I really can not understand much Spanish, and sometimes there would be several people at once trying to explain or tell me something. One thing that was really nice- the uncle whose house we were at came over to me and said, in English, "I would like to show you my garden." I went with him outside and he showed me all the plants and things in his garden. It really was beautiful and I expressed that as much as I could.

So, at the end of the night, it came time for us to leave and say goodbye to everyone... meaning 30 or so people. By this point I was starting to feel very exhausted (spending 4+ hours in a setting with complete strangers who speak another language can be really tiring!) I know basically none of them, but knew that I should still walk around and hug and kiss people goodbye. I am still a little bit unclear if the whole hugging and kissing thing is necessary between men and women. Between women it is totally normal, but I don't know about between women and men. A kiss on the cheek this is, but still. So I started walking around and most of the women immediately offer a hug and kiss. Some of the men offered a hug and kiss, and I did not feel too uncomfortable with it. HOWEVER, there was this one cousin or something who was probably 30 years old. Earlier during the night I caught him staring at me during dinner, and talking with his buddies at the same time. I felt somewhat uncomfortable with this, and did not want to give off any wrong impressions. So when I walked around to say goodbye, he said "Chao," but did not initiate a hug. I said "Chao" as well, smiled, and continued on my way. Immediately, he walked over to his mom or aunt, and I think... I think, told her that I didn't kiss him, and I think she said something across the room about me not kissing the cousin. She asked if I thought he was ugly! By this point it seemed to be too late to do anything... I was following my mom out the door and was not even really sure what was going on.

AHHHH. I don't know what to do. I didn't want to initiate a hug/kiss with him just in case that was inappropriate, but I think not doing it was a lot worse. I am already a very non-touch person, especially when it comes to men, but here that is different. I thought following his lead and not hugging would be ok, but apparently it wasn't.

Well. That was my night. I feel like a jerky, culturally insensitive, and a snobby American. HELP!


Love you all. :-)

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear Hannah, Quite a story! And funny, yet suspenseful too! I think you did the appropriate thing. I think that if they probably do not understand your culture as you do not understand theirs that well, they will understand. Youa re not a snobby American! If you still feel uneasy about it talk to your mom and confide in her that you may have inadvertantly offended this man. She probably already knows but at least she can give you insight as what to do:)

    Hang in there... xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha i could totally hear you telling me this story and laughing with me as i laugh at the hilariousness of it =) i miss you so much hannah banana! i wouldn't worry too much about it, if he didn't initiate it while everyone else did he was probably just doing it on purpose to see if you would. and that's creepy anyways. a 30yr old? gross. i would know.... with my 40 yr old crush-ers asking for my number....... hahaha oh boy.. i miss youu!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. brady lady, i miss you and your 40 year old stalkers.

    thank you guys for the encouragement. now i just laugh when i think about that story. :-) miss you.

    ReplyDelete